Terror at the Marathon

The jolt of the first blast knocked this runner to the ground and prompted police to spring into action.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

A woman received help following the first of two explosions on Boylston Street Monday. Medical workers at the scene treated life-threatening wounds and losses of limbs

john Tlumacki/Globe staff

The scene along the sidewalk near the bombing was gruesome.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

The blast created a smoky haze that contributed to the confusion that reigned in the ensuing minutes.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

Tthe first of two successive bombs exploded along Boylston Street just before 3 p.m.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Just seconds after the first explosion rocked the area near the Boston Marathon finish line at about 2:50 p.m., there was a second blastafew blocks away on Boylston Street

David L. Ryan/globe staff

A photo shot by Ben Thorndike when the first bomb wentoff near the finish line of the Marathon.

Ben Thorndike

A victim of the first explosion near the finish line of Monday’s Boston Marathon was helped on the sidewalk of Boylston Street. Hospitals reported treating at least 140 patients.

John Tlumacki/Globe staff

First responders wheeled away one of the injured on a stretcher.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

A woman knelt and prayed at the scene of the first explosion at the marathon finish line on Boylston Street.

John Tlumacki/Globe staff

A man comforted one of the victims along the sidewalk.

John Tlumacki/Globe staff

A man tried stop the bleeding of another man's leg at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

Smoke filled the air at 2:50 p.m.

Aaron Tang for the Boston Globe

Emergency personnel were on the scene at 2:52;

Aaron Tang for the Boston Globe

The area was swarming at 2:58.

Aaron Tang for the Boston Globe

The area was evacuated by 3:05.

Aaron Tang for the Boston Globe

Rick Biagiotti (left) and Brian Bridges helped Kris Biagiotti(yellow jersey) get Kayla to the finish after the first blast

David L. Ryan/Globe staff

Cellphone service went down in Boston briefly as loved ones tried to locate one another.

Bill Greene/Globe staff

Race volunteer Katherine Swierk (left) was reunited with her aunt Terry Days (center) and friend Jocelyn Cacio.

John Blanding/Globe staff

Boston Police examined blown-out windows at the scene of the first explosion on Boylston Street, at the finish line of the Boston Marathon,


Runners who had not yet finished the race were stopped on Commonwealth Avenue.

Yoon S. Byun/Globe staff

Emergency medical personnel transported the injured for treatment.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

A runner walked away from Boston Common aftermarathoners were diverted following the explosions.

Barry Chin/Globe staff

Dr. Allan Panter was waiting for his wife, Theresa, when the first bomb went off. He tried in vain to help a woman who later died of a chest wound.

Yoon S. Byun/Globe Staff

Angela Hamilton of Hickory, N.C., attended a prayer service at the Cathedral Church of St.Paul Tuesday

Wendy Maeda/Globe staff

Officer Samora Lopes tied T-shirts on a barrier on Boylston Street.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

FBI and other officials continued to investigate the scene of the bombings on Boylston Street. They searched the streets and rooftops for clues.

David L Ryan/Globe staff

Two people stood above 755 Boylston St.

John Tlumacki/Globe staff

investigators pored over the location the day after the bombings.

David L. Ryan/Globe staff

Remains of a backpack the FBI says contained one bomb

Associated press

Police tape blocked off access to the area.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

William Campbell tried to comfort his mother, Patricia, on Tuesday as she tried to read a statement about her daughter, Krystle.


Neighbors left flowers outside the Dorchester home of the eight-year-old killed during the attack.

Evan Allen/Globe staff

A woman looked down Boylston Street Tuesday, toward the finish line of the Boston Marathon and the site of deadly bombings a day earlier.


Amtrak police officer Joe Agnellino and his bomb detection dog checked passengers before they boarded a train at SouthStation Tuesday.

Bill Greene/Globe Staff

Bags of belongings left by runners at the starting line Monday were stacked like sandbags Tuesday on St. James Avenue.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Visitors at the memorial received some pet therapy from Duffy,a great Pyreneesfrom the Pets & People and Dog Bones associations.

Essdras M. Suarez/Globe Staff

Flowers, medals, stuffed animals, cards, flags, and hats pack a makeshift memorial at the corner of Boylston and Berkeley streets for the victims of the Marathon bombings


President Obama met with Marathon officials, including Matt West, at Cathedral High School.

John Tlumacki/Globe Staff

Mayor Thomas M. Menino spoke at the interfaith service following the bombings.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Governor Deval Patrick was also among the speakers.

David L. Ryan/Globe staff

It was standing room only in the aisles of the church for the service at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

From left: Priscilla Winter of Dorchester, Brandi Artez of the South End, Priscilla Rorie, and Roberta Mankus of Holbrook listened to President Barack Obama during his speech on an iPhone.

Yoon S. Byun/Globe Staff

The staff and patrons at Stadium Sports Bar and Grille in South Boston watched the memorial service.

Joanne Rathe/ Globe Staff

Jose Briceno of Cambridge held a US flag in front of the cathedral after the service was let out.

Yoon S. Byun,/Globe Staff

AA photograph of Boston University graduate student Lingzi Lu sat next toamessage board outside the school’s Marsh Chapel.

Julio Cortez/Associated press

FBI investigators combed Boylston Street near Berkeley Street for clues.

Bill Greene/Globe staff

On Hopkinton’s town green, near the Marathon start, people joined hands to pray for those hurt and killed at the finish.

Wendy Maeda/Globe staff

Alan Biggers hugged Ryan Lynch at the vigil.

Wendy Maeda/Globe Staff

Geshe Tenley, a monk from the Kurukulla Center in Medford, visited the memorial at Boylston and Berkeley streets.

Bill Greene/Globe staff

Boston, MA - 4/17/13 - A sign hangs on a barricade to A note of support and defiance was posted on a barricade on Boylston Street, near the site of the twin bombings.

Bill Greene/Globe Staff

The FBI released a photo of Suspect1, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Both suspects were seen on surveillance cameras on the day of the bombing.

Photos of Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, then persons of interest, were revealed during a press conference.

Barry Chin/Globe staff

Ruslan Tsarni in Montgomery Village, Md., the uncle of the bombing suspects, reacted to the news.


A K-9 unit searched near MIT following the shooting of officer Sean Collier.

Aram Boghosian for the Boston Globe

An American flag fluttered in the wind Friday at the scene of the slaying of MIT police Officer Sean Collier.

Jim Davis/Globe Staff

As what would normally be a busy lunch time approached, the scene was anything but busy as a police officer and some pigeons were among the few things in sight.

Jim Davis/Globe Staff

Military Police stood guard outside the Park Street Station Friday after the entire public transit system was shut down.

Suzanne Kreiter/Globe Staff

A deserted Watertown Square remained quiet with very little movement but flags flying, at approximately 6 a.m.

Bill Greene/Globe Staff

This was a portrait of at least part of the Public Garden about an hour before noon — lots of color but no people.

Jim Davis/Globe Staff

A police officer halted traffic as the city was shut down in the wake of the bombings and amid a massive manhunt.


Amid the lock-down that paralyzed the area, a lone bicycle rider headed across the Longfellow Bridge.


Police in SWAT gear conducted searches on Nichols Avenue at Dexter Avenue in an area of Watertown that was in lockdown.

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

SWAT teams moved into position at the intersection of Nichols Avenue and Melendy Avenue in Watertown.

Aram Boghosian for the Boston Globe

The ambulance carrying Dzhokhar Tsarnaev left the scene of his capture.


Louise Hunter and others on Arsenal Street cheered on officials leaving the scene after the capture of the bombing suspect in Watertown.

Bill Greene/Globe Staff

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis was on the scene in Watertown.

Stan Honda/AFP

Globe coverage of the April 15, 2013 bombings at the Boston Marathon and the events that followed.


//c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/28/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/bombings-6084--90x90.jpg 102 hours in pursuit of Marathon suspects

The Globe’s authoritative account of the bombings and the largest manhunt in regional history.

//c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/26/BostonGlobe.com/ReceivedContent/Images/moh-boston-4_grande--90x90.jpg Carjacking victim describes harrowing night

A 26-year-old Chinese entrepreneur described his abduction and escape from the Marathon bomb suspects in an exclusive interview.

12/15/2013 | A Boston Globe investigation

//c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/12/16/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/family-illustration-960-1.5x.jpg The fall of the house of Tsarnaev

A five-month Globe investigation of the two suspects in the Marathon bombings and their deeply dysfunctional family.

The wounded

Marathon bombing victim Gillian Reny and her mother, Audrey Epstein Reny, were back at Brigham and Women’s Hospital for another appointment on Tuesday.

Marathon bombing victim builds on her recovery

Doctors saved Gillian Reny’s mangled leg after the attack; now her family is raising funds for trauma research.

Celeste Corcoran (left) and her daughter Sydney have been side by side in navigating their recovery from the bombings.

After Marathon attack, Lowell family healing

Celeste and Sydney Corcoran, the mother and daughter nearly killed in the Marathon bombings, end 2013 with a profound gratitude to simply be alive.

Watertown manhunt and capture

Tamerlan Tsarnaev

Sisters of Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s widow appear before grand jury

The sisters-in-law of dead Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev testified Thursday before a federal grand jury looking into the attack, their lawyer said.

“It was somewhat sad and somber,” said Bukhari Abdel-Alim (center), of Islamic Funeral Services of Virginia.

Marathon bombing suspect buried in Virginia

A day ­after the controversy swirling around the burial of Tamerlan Tsarnaev subsided in Worcester, it engulfed a rural Virginia hamlet.



http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/19/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/AURORA_REAR19539-2007NB01-001--90x90.jpg Marathon bombing suspects

Details emerged about the suspects after they were identified as brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Fatal victims

http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/16/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/martin-richard-facebook--90x90.jpg Martin Richard

In the frenetic social media traffic that followed the Marathon blasts, a photograph of the wide-eyed boy holding a hand-lettered sign — “No more hurting people. Peace” — became an international emblem of the the day’s horror. His mother and sister were also seriously injured at the site of the second bomb.


http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/17/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/campbell-4288--90x90.jpg Krystle Campbell

Campbell, who grew up in Medford and moved about a year ago to Arlington, was on Boylston Street near the Marathon finish line with her friend Karen when the first bomb went off. She was remembered as a hard worker who "was always right there if you needed her," her grandmother said.


http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/17/BostonGlobe.com/Metro/Images/9fc3d9a98f9f4f2cb40c26c02c94a965-9fc3d9a98f9f4f2cb40c26c02c94a965-0--90x90.jpg Lingzi Lu

Lu, 23, a Boston University graduate student from the northeastern Chinese city of Shenyang, was the third victim of the bombings and the last to be identified. Lu’s friends recalled her as a kind young woman with a passion for music who hoped to find love in America.


http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/04/20/BostonGlobe.com/National/Images/166993279--90x90.jpg Sean Collier

Sean Collier, 26, was shot multiple times in a late-night confrontation with, officials believe, the two men responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings. He was known for having a knack for earning people’s trust, and for building rapport with the community he policed.


Healing the city

Flowers lay against a barricade near the finish line of the Boston Marathon and the site of deadly twin bombings.

Boston: Forever changed

Former US poet laureate Robert Pinsky, who teaches at Boston University, shares his reaction to the Boston Marathon bombings.

Donations and words of support — some of which are displayed around this story — poured into the One Fund.

In letters to One Fund, a child’s hope shines through

Officials said they have received more than 50,000 letters, many from children eager to help in the Marathon bombings’ aftermath in any way they could.

Reaction to the bombing


He who should be named

If we lock Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s name and image in an airtight safe, we give him a lingering power he doesn’t deserve.

Residents flee near Franklin Street in Watertown on April 19, 2013.


Politics deep-sixes bombing hearing

A hearing was set for Boston about the Marathon bombing until Mayor Walsh expressed concerns about it.